Why Choose Cruise Over a Land Holiday?
14 May 2019
It comes as no surprise to us that cruise holidays have seen such a vast increase in popularity over the last few years, or that they’ve expanded into markets with which they were not generally associated – especially the family market. There are so many reasons to choose a cruise over a holiday on terra firma that we firmly believe everyone should try one once. We’ve looked at just a few of the reasons to sample life on the ocean wave.
"I doubted it would be my kind of holiday, but it was. I have visited ports and destinations that I’d never been to, gorged on superb food and wine, relaxed and had countless enjoyable experiences and adventures, from wine-tasting in Bordeaux to white-water rafting in Croatia. The best thing to do, if unsure, is to try a short-break cruise out of a UK port such as Southampton. Here you can experience the many elements of a longer voyage without blowing your wallet."
Travel Counsellor Tip
- Amazing facilities. Many cruise ships are destinations in their own right and some are veritable floating adventure playgrounds, with amenities often including the likes of zip-wires, water parks, movies under the stars, nightclubs, cookery classes, comedy, live music and West End calibre shows, and spas. As such, they can offer more than even the biggest and best all-inclusive resorts.
- More to see. You’ll see far more places and have many more excursion options with a cruise visiting several ports of call than in a single destination or resort.
- Great food. Many cruises lines offer fantastic restaurants that rival five-star offerings on land yet are included in your holiday price. Meanwhile, speciality restaurants can offer great value in comparison with their land counterparts even when they come at a surcharge.
- Value. Different cruise firms include different elements in their prices, but most cruise packages include meals in the main (non-speciality) restaurants, some non-alcoholic drinks, accommodation, entertainment and certain onboard activities, and use of facilities such as gyms. Others are fully inclusive, embracing speciality restaurants, alcoholic drinks, shore excursions, WiFi and much more besides, or offer the chance to make savings through add-on drinks and dining packages. Alternatively, ‘repositioning cruises’ – when a ship moves to a new home-port – can be a good way of travelling at a discount.
- Fewer extra costs. Seeing the same destinations individually as you would on one cruise would mean paying for a hotel, food, drinks and transport, whereas all of that is part of your package when you cruise.
- Less hassle. After boarding your ship, you only have to unpack once for the entire duration of your holiday.
Did You Know?
- Comparisons between comparable land and cruise packages show the former average 40–50% less.
- The mean annual increase in the number of cruises taken since 1980 is 7%, making it the fastest-growing sector of the leisure travel industry.
- The number of cruise passengers per year is currently around 28 million.
- The most popular cruise destination, the Caribbean/Bahamas, accounts for more than a third of all cruises. In second place comes the Med.
- Seven days is the average cruise holiday length but some world cruises take in more than 100 days at sea.
- Today’s cruise-ship amenities range from robot bar-tenders to planetariums.
“After a great night’s sleep and a delicious breakfast, we explored Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas at our own pace. Made up of seven different neighbourhoods, it has space to suit every taste, from the Royal Promenade bustling with shops and the bionic bar (a robot that actually makes the best cocktails) leafy Central Park, planted with more than 12,000 plants and trees, and the Boardwalk with its full-size carousel. If you’re feeling brave, try out the Ultimate Abyss – the world’s tallest slide at sea, where you drop a heart-pumping 30m in a matter of seconds.”
Jay, Travel Counsellor
If you're ready to sample life on the ocean wave, contact your Travel Counsellor today and enjoy exclusive access to benefits such as a 24-hour duty office ready to assist you before, during and after your stay.